Holmestead Massage Therapy, 171 Main Street N, Markham, Ontario, L3P 1Y2 © 2013
TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE
FREE 15 MINUTE TRIAL TREATMENT
Our practitioner, Gilbert Schaefer, is a Registered Acupuncturist and Certified Shiatsu Therapist with over 20 years of experience. Gilbert graduated with honours from the Shiatsu School of Canada and with High Honours from the SSC Acupuncture Institute. He subsequently taught Eastern Medical Theory and was a Student Clinic Supervisor. He interned with Dr. Tim Tanaka at the Pacific Wellness Institute.
In his treatments, Gilbert places conscious emphasis on the treatment of the body-mind as a united entity. As a therapist, his goal is to facilitate the natural innate healing capacity of the human body according to the principles of Eastern Medicine, while crossing the bridge to Western Medical Science.
As a unique specialty, Gilbert often combines gentle acupuncture techniques and shiatsu massage in the same treatment session. Not only does this significantly enhance the treatment effectiveness, but enables the patient to have a soothing healing experience.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a form of traditional Chinese medicine that originated in China 5,000 years ago and is now accepted and practiced worldwide. Acupuncture is the medical application of fine needles to points on the body to treat most dysfunctions of the mental, emotional and physical spheres to enhance well being across a range of areas.
According to TCM, Qi (pronounced chee) energy, or the vital life force, flows through fourteen meridians or channels in the body. When the energy flow is disturbed, illness or disease can follow. Inserting needles into specific points can suppress or stimulate the release of energy, thereby correcting imbalances.
What are the benefits of Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is used to promote natural healing, relieve pain and improve function of organ systems that are no longer in harmony. It is often effectively and successfully used as an alternative to medications.
The World Health Organization has a long list of diseases and disorders for which acupuncture has proven effective, including, but not limited to:
• reproductive issues including menstrual, fertility and menopause disorders
* support during pregnancy to relieve physical or emotional discomfort
• physical pain from headaches, stiff neck, back problems, whiplash, frozen shoulder, repetitive strain injury, sports injuries, trapped nerves, general muscle aches and sciatica
• rheumatoid arthritis
* asthma , sinus problems, skin problems like rashes or eczema
• digestive disorders including irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, diarrhea, imbalances in appetite
* weak immune system, resulting in repetitive cycles of infections
* chronic fatigue, M.E. and fibromyalgia
• blood sugar problems
• depression and stress, insomnia, low energy, low self esteem and anxiety
Acupuncture is beneficial to increased healing, physical performance and blood flow